Saturday, October 03, 2009

I just got home from yet another 14 1/2 hour workday. I'm exhausted, but I was "entertained".

I have worked in the hotel industry for many, many years, but never before have I experienced a day quite like today.

We had three large group functions taking place at the hotel, all at the same time...

GROUP #1: A young black girls "Sweet 16" birthday party. There wasn't a White, Hispanic or Asian person in sight. All baggy pants, sideways baseball caps, "bling" and ATTITUDE. Throw in a DJ whose playlist all sounds exactly the same.

GROUP #2: The annual ball for "The River City Gems". A group of about 100 middle-aged, blue collar, cross-dressing men and their "dates". Not a single pair of pants in the room. More ball gowns, hoop skirts, "Scarlet O'Hara" wigs and falsies than "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert".

GROUP #3: "Little People of America". Pretty self-explanatory. Would you believe that a gathering of midgets was the most "normal" group?

Nobody can ever say I don't experience "diversity" at the workplace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Little people ROCK!

~Melissa