Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Wait a minute, it's been HOW long?



So I went to my (yikes!) 20 year high school reunion this weekend. It was, well, interesting. Several of the people I went there to see, who had also e-mailed me recently about how nice it would be to catch up never showed. I ended up spending most of the night sitting with the class wallflower and an overacheiver from the class of '84 (they couldn't get it together themselves, so it was a "combined" reunion). I couldn't recognize anyone without their nametags. Everyone was at least 40 pounds heavier and working on their second marriage. I mistook one girl as the hotel manager because she looked about 50, then realized she was from my class. The school "hottie" looked anything but, and another girl was stumbling drunk when the party started. By 2 hours into it half the people had already left...I guess they just can't keep up in their old age. Then around 11:00 a group of "the guys" rolled in wearing trucker hats, t-shirts and ripped jeans. Mind you, this was a semi-formal event. I'm sure these guys probably still spend their weekends sitting on the school bleachers drinking beer and talking about the good old days. All in all, I'm glad I went, if I hadn't I would forever wonder what I missed, but I don't think I'll be making it to any more class reunions...

2 comments:

jazz bird said...

If nothing else, it could give you some great perspective of comparison. You clearly found some sort of time warp where they aged around you. :)

Of course, for purely selfish reasons, I'm glad you made the trip, too.

Kingfisher said...

Yeah, reunions are a bummer. The asshole jocks have become salesmen, the school slut is working on marriage #3/child #8, the nerds are making insane money in computers.

My wife and I spent our 20th feeling like losers at a table with hum-drum food and people I didn't care about then, much less now. "Burn, Baby Burn! Disco Inferno!" played in the background.

Never been back, and that was the start of me giving up on the past.