Sunday, August 14, 2005

Around the world and back again...

Okay, so maybe it was just the nation...

After 2 weeks in Pasadena rehearsing my ass off for practically no reason, I told the producers I'd had enough of their B.S., packed up my bags (again), rented a car and drove up Highway 15 to where this whole mess began 2 1/2 years ago. The land of slot machines and prostitution. Okay, there's more redeeming qualities to Las Vegas than that...I think. I've set myself up in a great apartment with a fabulous view and am enjoying having all my stuff around me again. I've decided to forego buying a car at this point and instead I'm doing a lot of walking and taking the bus...and the monorail is up and running now too. It runs all the way from the MGM to the Sahara and stops practically across the street! I'll save a buttload on car insurance and gas. Heck, on gas alone! Have you seen the prices at the pump lately? I don't know how long it will be until I simply HAVE to buy one, but for now I'm actually enjoying not having the pain in the ass that a car can be. Practically every car I've owned broke down on a regular basis. The first car I bought died in less than 24 hours! Besides after living in New York I'm rather used to taking public transit...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've fantasized often about going car-less. I like taking public transit, but just like everyone else when push comes to shove I use the car because it's easier.

Where we live, it only costs $0.50 to ride the light-rail in the downtown area. You can barely start your car for that these days!

I hope your non-metropolitan car-free experiment works out well. For other options, consider: motorcycle, bicycle, push scooter, roller skates (!). www.xootr.com has neat scooters and only recently offers a folding bike. These are great to integrate with public transit.

I use my scooter a lot!

Kingfisher said...

Hey! Vegas is a great town to live in. Except where you live. (For me, anyway. Hard to raise kids in the middle of the Strip.)

Welcome back! I knew you'd be here. Now I just gotta put up with you living within hollering distance.