Thursday, May 26, 2005

OK, now what?

Any ideas about what I should post here? Should I talk about the difficulties of trying to make life work as a performer in New York City? Tell stories about my life's travels? Or simply write about the day to day thoughts we all have?

I guess what lays most heavily on my mind at the moment is work. Or the lack of, I suppose. In just over 2 weeks it will have been 1 year since the national tour of "Starlight Express" closed, and I haven't worked since. This is the longest I've been without a job since 1995 when I moved to L.A. and tried to break into the film industry (huge mistake). It seems I go to 4 or 5 auditions a week, get an occasional callback, and then zip. How many times can a person be told, "Thank you...don't call us, we'll call you" before they start to lose hope? I keep waiting for my damn phone to ring, but it never does. There are a few good auditions on the horizon, and that sometimes is the only thing that keeps me going. But who's to say they're not just going to be another miserable waste of my time? The 2 things I would most like to do right now are 1) get cast in a broadway show (no brainer) and 2) perform on a cruise ship. I love to travel and it's something that everyone keeps telling me I would love to do. Of course, I'd like to work for one of the better companies like Royal Carribean, Celebrity or Crystal Cruises. Not that I have any first-hand knowledge of any of them, but I've been told they are good companies to work for...

Okay, enough rambling. I guess this is easier than I thought.

1 comment:

Sven said...

http://accidentalboyfriend.blogspot.com/ - this guy might be able to give some pointers into the cruise ship trade. Good luck!